Over 20,000 respondents participated in InterNations Expat Insider survey this year. Although, the participants are scattered across 187 countries or territories, only 64 destinations made it to the cut in 2019’s survey.
In the Middle East, Bahrain remained the top destination for expats to work and live in. On the other hand, Kuwait ranked as the worst destination GLOBALLY.
Here are the worst 10 destinations for expats according to this survey.
1. Kuwait: Kuwait ranks last once again, a position it also held in 2018 and from 2014 to 2016. It still places last and second to last for the ease of settling in and quality of life, respectively, though it has improved for personal finance (from 50th to 38th in 2019). (Shutterstock)
2. Italy: Italy may be new to the bottom 3, ranking 63rd out of 64 in 2019, but it has never made it out of the bottom 10. As in 2018, it does worst for working abroad (64th) and personal finance (62nd). (Shutterstock)
3. Nigeria: After not featuring in the 2018 survey due to an insufficient number of respondents, Nigeria (62nd out of 64) once again ranks third to last, as it did in 2015, 2016, and 2017. (Shutterstock)
4. Brazil: Ranking 61 this year, Brazil has ranked among the bottom 5 for the past five years and even placed last in 2018. (Shutterstock)
5. Turkey: Turkey is the worst country in the world for expat families (36th out of 36): close to two in five expat parents (39%) are dissatisfied with the options for children’s education (vs. 17% globally), and 38% rate the quality of education negatively (vs. 16% worldwide). (Shutterstock)
6. India : Coming in 62nd out of 64 countries in the Quality of Life Index, India especially lags behind digitally (62nd): expats for example struggle with getting a local mobile phone number (38% negative answers vs. 7% globally) and with accessing administrative and government services online (53% vs. 26% worldwide). (Shutterstock)
7. UK: The UK ranks 58th out of 64 countries in the Expat Insider 2019 survey amid ongoing Brexit uncertainty: it has fallen 14 places in terms of political stability, now ranking among the ten worst countries in the world for this factor (57th). Over two in five expats